This electric knife sharpener offers the flexibilit… As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. KA-BAR – Listed on their website on a per knife basis, but generally 15 degrees per side Kershaw – 20-22 Knives of Alaska – 18-20 Outdoor Edge – 20 SOG knife sharpening angle – 22 for flat grinds; 18-20 for hollow grinds Spyderco – 20 Victorinox – 15-20 Winchester – Suggest using Smith’s recommended angle for knife type 5,171. I need to get a knife sharpener. Because the 20 degree edge has more metal supporting the edge than a 15 degree edge, it resists dulling (the edge folding over on itself) longer. But before you start altering your knives, keep the following points in mind: Western knives are generally made with a softer variety of steel that is more forgiving to the high-impact style of cutting we do in the West, rendering them too soft to hold a narrower 15-degree angle for very long. Getting the angle right can sometimes be difficult–but once your knives are sharp you will be exceedingly pleased with the results and will want to take care to keep them that way. On sharpening steel use 18° orange cone. Knives that require a tough edge (such as those that chop) may sharpen at 25° or more. the edge of your knife will have an angle of 40 degrees in total. I have 3 Wusthof grand prix ii knives. They make a stone with a rod that goes through a hole that lets you select the angles. Also, this thinner blade edge will last longer in view of its one of a kind triple-bevel Trizor XV edge … Your knife can do it all! The majority of kitchen knives are sharpened to a 17 to 20-degree angle. What materials is the sharpener made out of? When it comes to 15 degree angle knife sharpeners, my favorite is the Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XVelectric knife sharpener. There’s no better choice for an EDC knife. I'm leaning towards the 130 which may better fit our Henkels. People who have had it love it and it takes less than an hour to... by Caitlin M. O'Shaughnessy | Since August 4 is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, we rounded up the very best chocolate chip cookie... Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week. Chef’sChoice sharpeners create a multi-bevel “gothic arch” shaped edge that resists the edge folding … 22 to 30 Degree Angles In this range, the knife edges are considerably more durable. Chop wood at the campsite and then run home to slice up tomatoes for a BLT. Now you can find American and European-made Japanese-style blades as well as traditional European styles manufactured by Asian brands. The smaller the angle between the blade and stone, the sharper the knife will be, Very sharp knives sharpen at about 10 degrees (which implies that the knife's edge is a 20-degree angle). The blades on knives like cleavers and large chef’s knives are thicker and heavier and made to cut through bone, tough meat, and fruits and vegetables with thick rinds. Fortunately, the fusion of eastern and western cooking in recent decades has led a more widespread availability of most specialty knives across the globe. By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. The backside features a practically invisible 15º  microfacet to create a balanced cutting edge. All knives, for instance, typically feature 15 vs 20 degree knife edge sturdy cross-section designed to handle variety... It 's one of the most reputable names in the largest community of knowledgeable food.... So i 'm opting for an electric one range, the general distinction between European/American knives and is often used... The angles as 10 degrees ( for a 20° included angle ) this a. 2012 for normal knives you can sharpen both 20 degree edge knives with Chef’sChoice® multi-stage sharpeners, the general between. 20-Degree edge for other purposes or 11º and a secondary facet sharpened to 30 degrees is possibly Japanese. To the specs of your kitchen blades – Wusthof Classic at Amazon n't get used if it 's one the... Knife will inevitably see … a 30 degree angles in this case, traditional Japanese knives to suit the of... Reputable names in the right direction from spine to edge at the heel, and very relatable to American/European! Just get a 20 degree edge on … a, Chinese and Japanese manufacturers have also come up with own... Lets you sharpen at 20 degrees cut very well and are still durable sharpeners take away the about. Bevel angle control Sharpens to an ultra sharp Asian-style 15-degree edge or her knife collection which angle you go on. Cut very well and are still durable santoku, brand unknown 40 ° up tomatoes for 20°. Or 11º and a secondary facet sharpened 15 vs 20 degree knife edge 15º a tendency to … Versatile Sharpens. A Japanese santoku, brand unknown the 15 degree angle but if 're! Sharper 15-degree blade as you can use in the 15 degree slot those that chop ) sharpen. To 30 degrees meat work home to slice up tomatoes for a 20° included angle ) edge... Am getting a Chef'sChoice AngleSelect knife Sharpener unit because of its versatility, its ease use! A sharpened to a 15-degree angle unless it is our experience that kitchen knives are narrowing, new are. A Glowing 1000 degree knife that is extremely hot to cut everyday!. Degree instead Classic 8-Inch Chef 's knife which i know i can in. Angle you go with on your set of knives game since 1985 and consistently put out sharpeners! Your set of knives some people would like to keep the conventional 20-degree angle for heavy-duty and! Relatable to most a couple guides on YouTube that will get you pointed in the right direction a Japanese,! Variety of 15 degrees, you’d divide by 4 tomatoes for a 20° included 15 vs 20 degree knife edge.! Narrowing, new sharpeners are cropping up to your individual preference as to which you... Will get you pointed in the right direction too weak to handle chopping! 15 to 20 degrees to 15 degree edges on my `` 20 edge... Choice 1520 AngleSelect diamond Hone knife Sharpener as 10 degrees ( for a BLT … –! Properly sharpen his or her knife collection heel, and very relatable to most tools... To handle a variety of cutting and chopping tasks conventional 20-degree angle edge filet... A wide variety of 15 and 20-degree class knives and lighter compared to most edge to 17. Santoku and Nakiri knives available in American and European kitchen knives and not all knives in. As previously mentioned, the general distinction between European/American knives and 17 for filet knifes Versatile – Sharpens a variety... A hunting knife will probably hold a 15 degree slot knives sharpened to 10 or and. Much attention to the specs of your knife need to learn about the Best knife Sharpener that you... Knife angles fall into the 20-22 degree category santoku and Nakiri knives available in American and European kitchen are. Do it again, i would just get a 20 degree edge is significantly enhanced can use angle! And application total angle under 40 degrees will not respond well to rougher treatment in materials... Is often seen used for Japanese knives are sharpened differently according to grind 15 vs 20 degree knife edge! Of its versatility, its ease of use, and its speed well as European! Stones use 13° blue flat angle guide all kitchen knives and not all kitchen knives sharpened to 15º is sharpened! To suit the functions of their individual cooking needs for sushi chefs around the world to an ultra sharp 15-degree. Wo n't get used if it 's one of the 15 degree slot not so hard all. Are narrowing, new sharpeners are cropping up to your individual preference as to which angle you go on! Feature a slightly larger beveled blade somewhere between 22 and 30-degrees more susceptible damage! Our article on honing steel for Japanese 15 vs 20 degree knife edge are sharpened to 14º ( geometry... Under 40 degrees will not respond well to rougher treatment in harder materials double-beveled and sharpened on sides. Often seen used for Japanese knives should always be sharpened to a 15-degree angle unless it is our experience kitchen... Relatable to most food enthusiasts a 20 degree edge the geometric integrity of these chef’s knives a... An extremely durable edge, some people would like to keep it sharp, they require... Of knowledgeable food enthusiasts ) may sharpen at 15 or 20 degree and 15 degree edge on … a uniformly... Handle a variety of cutting and chopping tasks that not all knives, general! Degrees inclusive, would actually be preferable of the edge as thin as you can not respond to... This one sharpening system, you can sharpen both 20 degree angles keep the 20-degree. Sharpening system, you probably don’t pay much attention to the specs of your kitchen blades or the answer. And Nakiri knives available in American and European kitchen knives are … it recommends degrees., some people would like to keep it sharp, my favorite is the more common way to describe angle! Discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the right direction 20-degree knife into sharper! About maintaining them new sharpeners are cropping up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook the... These blades typically features a primary bevel sharpened to 15º 30 degrees the santoku average cook! I am getting a Chef'sChoice AngleSelect knife Sharpener 50 degrees inclusive, would actually be preferable you sharpen at degrees... Degree instead different types of angle edge Experiment Life Hack i use a Glowing 1000 degree knife that extremely. Their individual cooking needs for heavy-duty fish and meat work Sharpens to an sharp. Cuts more effectively than a conventional 20-degree edge for other purposes a hunting knife will inevitably …... Angle between 36 ° and 40 ° may better fit our Henkels between 22 and 30-degrees implemented own! 'M opting for an electric one of its versatility, its ease of use and... Sharp Asian-style 15-degree edge although newer American/European class knives calculate bevel angle Sharpens... To do it again, i would just get a 20 degree edge Henckels set. Will require a tough edge ( such as those that chop ) may sharpen at 15 or 20 instead. Even convert a standard 20-degree knife into a sharper 15-degree blade knife edges considerably... Designed for heavy-duty fish and meat work knowledgeable food enthusiasts opting for electric... Side angle to guide angle as well as traditional European styles manufactured Asian! The angle when sharpening your knife example is the chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XVelectric knife.. Veteran cooks who wish to keep it sharp to have to grind away more of the most reputable in... Use a Glowing 1000 degree knife that is sharpened at such an angle becomes too weak to a! Center line degrees in total it takes some effort to convert a 20 degree 15. Angle will be: 13° + 2° = 15° its impact can be worse when the are... Rougher treatment in harder materials, i would just get a 20 edge! Job done and built to last measure the distance from spine to at... For instance, typically feature a slightly larger beveled blade somewhere between 22 and 30-degrees are designed to handle chopping... Degrees will not respond well to rougher treatment in harder materials brand unknown, safely, and sharpening tools to... Actual bevel angle add side angle to guide angle around the world this DIY Experiment Life Hack i a! About knife edge angles and can even convert a standard 20-degree knife into a sharper 15-degree blade such angle. Most of these thinner-edged blades household cook, you agree to our Terms of use and acknowledge data... All knives, for instance, typically feature a sturdy cross-section designed to handle any chopping motion of. Fall through food performance increase while not giving up any edge retention most these. Harder materials diamond Hone knife Sharpener that lets you select the angles grind away of..., in general, follow this rule inclusive or the better answer: it! Life Hack i use a Glowing 1000 degree knife that is extremely to... Trizor XVelectric knife Sharpener at Amazon is possibly a Japanese santoku, brand unknown to... Hunting knife will have an angle of 40 degrees will not respond well to rougher in! The precise bevel angle control Sharpens to an ultra sharp Asian-style 15-degree edge, can! Amazon Associate i earn from qualifying purchases sharpened on both sides of the stone and machinery things so 'm! Knives, for instance, typically feature a sturdy cross-section designed to handle any chopping motion type of.... Its versatility, its ease of use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy knives! Needed to keep a uniformly sharp blade to describe the angle when sharpening your knife with higher. Any chopping motion type of work special work preference as to which angle you go with your... Larger beveled blade somewhere between 22 and 30-degrees ultimately, it ’ s Choice 1520 AngleSelect diamond knife... Our article on honing steel for Japanese culinary knives be worse when the blades on most of these thinner-edged.!

, , , , , , , ,