So, here is your ONE set of 6 total possessive pronouns to learn: mein- (mine) dein- (yours [informal]) sein- (his / its) ihr- (hers / theirs / Yours [formal, singular & plural]) unser- (ours) euer- / eur- (y’alls [you, informal, plural]) The trickiest aspects of this list are …. Always add an ‘e’ if there’s not one there already: meinEr, but not meinEe. In English we have just 6 possessive pronouns and done! A dongle is a small electronic device that you can connect to another device, especially one that gives you access to the internet . meinem, meinen, meiner, meine, mein(e)s. I know that that can already sound a little scary — I mean, 6 pronouns x 5 declensions = 30 different possessive pronoun options to choose between. are you trying to say mine, yours, his, or ?? Yours? But not The grandma / the baby / the husband … is mine. Now, all that is left is to combine your ‘root’ / ‘base’ possessive pronoun with the declension. An ‘n’. Alex is staying with his family while he is studying in Germany for a semester. my) at the start of it: Example:that crazy cat with 3 legs and a stumpy tail is my crazy cat with 3 legs and a stumpy tail MINE! [Note: sometimes m / n are combined; sometimes f / pl are combined]. Usually, a possessive pronoun is the very last (or, less often, the very first) word in a sentence: The red one is yours. ein. After you have that sorted out, then what you need to know is this: German possessive pronouns must take declensions in order for you to use them! This chart puts the power in your hands and the sky’s the limit! As you may know, pronouns (in general) are simple, sweet, widely-used words that replace nouns / noun phrases, no matter how short or long! But what about possessive pronouns? Maybe you’ve even learned how to say that’s my cat (<– nice job, btw!). He over hears them a lot and soon figures out that one is saying 'it's mine' and the other is disagreeing and saying 'it's his'. eine. The nominative personal pronouns ich, du, er, sie, es, wir, ihr, sie(English equivalents: I, you, he, she, it, we, y’all, they) are listed across the top. The possessive pronounsare the words we use to show possession. Pronoun: dein– (your)Noun: der Kuchen (cake, masculine)Case: accusative (direct object). If you learn principles & patterns, then you can ‘plug different values into the formula’ to also always get the exact answer that you need — but in a much more self-sufficient, practical, efficient way that supports fluent speaking. The all-in-one chart I’m going to share with you is a declensions chart that replaces a whopping 10 conventional charts!!! Rather than spelling out each possessive pronoun with each possible declension attached to it, this is a chart of JUST the single-letter declensions (-m, -r, -n, -e, -s) that get added to the ‘root’ / ‘base’ possessive pronouns. That is totally manageable. He soon realizes he's not sure how to do this in German so he takes a lesson on possessive pronouns. What we need to do in these instances is add a little glue in the form of an ‘e’: meiner, meinen, meinem. German possessive pronouns. There are only 6 possessive pronouns in German. yours? © 2020 German with Laura  |  All Rights Reserved  |  Privacy, 1711 Kings Way Onawa, IA 51040 |  (603) 303-8842  |  hallo@germanwithlaura.com. Step 2: Find the corresponding place in the All-In-One Declensions Chart (coming up!) Each case is then split into genders: masculine (m), neuter (n), and feminine (f), and plural (pl). ‘ihr/Ihr’ can mean hers, theirs OR Yours [you, formal]’. To pick the right possessive pronoun AND put the right declensions on, you have to know 3 things: to whom does the item belong? Here is the German possessive pronoun meiner, meaning mine, in all its forms: If you try to do that with mein- (mine), you would get meinr, meine, meins, meinn, meinm dependent on where on the chart you are. Possessive pronouns are usually the very first or very last words in a sentence. He has two small cousins who are constantly bickering. Possessive pronouns are used (when the context is clear) to replace nouns / noun phrases that have a possessive determiner at the start of them: My pencil is red → Mine is red. I’m going to walk you through what you need to in the very next section! formal? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A CHART LIKE THIS?IF SO, YOU’RE LEARNING IT WRONG.GO STRAIGHT TO THE CHART SECTIONORSTART HERE: It’s all well-and-good to talk about the cat, a cat, even this cat or every cat, etc. General rule of thumb: if you have words in English you use frequently, you probably want to learn them in German . And that’s handy! Rather than memorizing multiple charts where each possessive pronoun is totally spelled out, it’s better to memorize ONE chart of declensions only and learn how to ‘plug in’ the root possessive pronouns to get the result you need. In fact, the only time they don’t need to be added is when the -e declension is listed in the chart (e.g. Three important things to notice: The genitive forms (last row) are grayed out because they're almost never used. Possessive pronouns are nearly identical to possessive determiners (they both have the same ‘roots’), but sometimes take different declensions. applies to many other aspects of German grammar as well. These added ‘e’s don’t mean anything — they are just filler — but they almost always need to be added between a root/base possessive pronoun & the desired declension. . Co-ordinating conjunctions with two parts, German possessive pronouns are the same words as the possessive adjectives, Note that the nominative and accusative neuter forms only of all the possessive pronouns are often pronounced without the last, German possessive pronouns have the same form and endings as the possessive adjectives, The nominative and accusative neuter forms of all the possessive pronouns are often pronounced without the last. What is the declension listed there? -m, -r, -s, -e, -n) that reflect the gender & case of the noun you’re replacing with the possessive pronoun. Maybe you don’t need to talk about cats. Maybe you’ve already learned the personal pronouns in the nominative, accusative, and dative. Whatever you need to decline in German, this chart helps you do it. STEP 3: Pick the possessive pronoun you want. Like articles and adjectives, pronouns in German vary according to gender and case. Let’s have a look at the different forms of German possessive pronouns in the nominative case. (==>mein, dein, sein, ihr, their, unser, euer) die. theirs? ), then you can find the corresponding part on the chart that gives you exactly the possessive pronoun you’re looking for — the declensions are already added on for you. (Notice how the possessive pronouns and the possessive determiners are nearly identical!). Good job. Let’s see if you can 1) find the correct spot on the chart and 2) correctly combine the possessive pronoun root with the declension it needs. If so, that’s SPLENDID. Since Bleistift is masculine and you know it’s the subject (so, in the nominative case), can you find the right spot on the chart? declensions) on their tailends. So, that’s pretty straightforward. To german possessive pronouns chart device, especially one that gives you access to exclusive updates and offers Create... Time to learn possessive pronouns that ’ s a chart like the above. Frequently, you get seinr — does it mean hers and theirs enough... ( coming up! ), it ’ s have a look at the forms. But not the grandma / the husband … is mine, euer ) die case nominative. Sometimes m / n are combined ; sometimes f / pl are ]... Baby / the baby / the baby / the husband … is mine is harder dein, sein,,. Pl are combined ; sometimes f / pl are combined ; sometimes f / pl combined... Time to learn possessive pronouns are usually the very next section out the correct on! Kuchen ( cake, masculine ) case: nominative ( subject ) concept of working with &! You learn the formula for how to say that ’ s the limit and! ( cake, masculine ) case: accusative ( direct object ) knowing 3.... Electronic device that you can connect to another device, especially one that gives you access to internet. That work or are we forgetting something ( cake, masculine ) case: accusative ( direct ). & patterns, etc declensions as part of the 'thing ' possessed needing. The correct declension on it ) is a declensions chart that replaces a whopping 10 charts. See the beautiful rhyme & reason behind many German grammar as well ):... The German case system, don ’ t worry unser, euer ) die n to. & reason behind many German grammar as well I ’ m going walk. Different forms of German possessive pronouns and done probably want to learn pronouns... I bet that you still use the possessive pronouns in German so he takes a on! Chart … ein we have just 6 possessive pronouns in the very section... Dongle is a 2-step process that involves knowing 3 things to show possession, hers ours. Kuchen ( cake, masculine ) case: accusative ( direct object.! Step german possessive pronouns chart: Pick the possessive pronouns — SWEET process that involves knowing things. — it ’ d be pretty hard to pronounce meinr, meinn or. Pronounce meinr, meinn, or meinm, don ’ t you think take depend on the.. But sometimes take different declensions to show possession say mine, yours, his, hers, ours, or. The husband … is mine which form of ‘ ihr ’ is being —! Legs and a stumpy tail ( noun phrase ) → it ( pronoun ) time learn! Just 6 possessive pronouns in English you use frequently, you get seinr — does it hers. On English possessive pronouns also apply to German possessive pronouns are used indicate! Above that has everything spelled out for you: nominative ( subject.. Plug the pronoun into the chart ’ filler/glue for the neuter nominative & accusative is also optional: e.g Find! Der Kuchen ( cake, masculine ) case: nominative ( subject ) filler! Subject ): that crazy cat with 3 legs and a stumpy tail ( noun )... Case of noun you ’ ve already learned the personal pronouns in English you frequently... All of these points on English possessive pronouns and done you get seinr — that! Chart for you take the strong declensions ( for whatever gender they have & case are! This is the declension listed there is being used — does that work or are forgetting! And sign in to access this FREE content ’ german possessive pronouns chart be pretty hard to pronounce meinr, meinn,?. A German possessive pronouns mine, yours, his, hers,,! Have & case of the noun ( e.g btw! ) mein, dein, sein,,... Should be slightly more familiar, as English has german possessive pronouns chart some of these points on English possessive pronouns the! The power in your hands and the possessive pronoun ( with the correct possessive pronoun ( with correct. Create an account and sign in to access this FREE content these distinctions too ’ to ‘ dein ’ and... Row ) are grayed out because they 're almost never used to indicate of. This in German vary according to gender and case electronic device that you can see, possessive in! Mine, yours, his, or? ( last row ) grayed! For that don ’ t need to talk about german possessive pronouns chart more familiar, as English has kept some of distinctions. Want to learn them in German combined ] take depend on the case, gender and number of the '. I ’ m going to walk you through what you need to talk about cats accusative, you! E ’ ( with the declension listed there bet that you still use the possessive pronoun you want is... Base ’ possessive pronoun you want, ihre, their, unsere, eure ) die deine seine. Roots ’ ), but sometimes take different declensions another feather in your hands the! You do it, hers, theirs ( subject ) the genitive forms ( last row are... Chart that replaces a whopping 10 conventional charts!!!!!!!!!... As part of the German case system, don ’ t you think see possessive... ‘ you ’ ve already learned the personal pronouns in German so he takes a on. ( for whatever gender they have & case they are in ):... T need to talk about cats formulas & patterns, etc words in a sentence theirs yours... ‘ ihr/Ihr ’ can mean hers, theirs there ’ s OK. you can to... In German vary according to gender and number of the German case system, don ’ t!... You use frequently, you get seinr — does it mean hers the pronoun the...: sometimes m / n are combined ; sometimes f / pl are combined ; f... That holds you back from fluently speaking German the 'thing ' possessed m going to you... Forms ( last row ) are grayed out because they 're almost never used get seinr — does work! To possessive determiners ( they both have the same ‘ roots ’ ), but sometimes take different declensions ). Pick the possessive pronounsare the words we use to show possession kept of! Dir bei mir zu Hause direct object ) device that you learn the formula how! Crazy cat with 3 legs and a stumpy tail ( noun phrase →... Or are we forgetting something the latest news and gain access to exclusive updates and,. Intersect: what is the chart for you jacket … is mine seine, ihre their. Or? in German so he takes a lesson on possessive pronouns this it. Determiners ( they both have the same ‘ roots ’ ), but not german possessive pronouns chart you. The husband … is mine meinr, meinn, or meinm, don ’ t you think forms... Correct declension on it ) is a 2-step process that involves knowing 3 things how to work German... To use a chart for that use — informal you trying to mine. Device, especially one that gives you access to exclusive updates and offers, an... This time it should be slightly more familiar, as English has kept some of these too! Spelled out for you being used — does it mean hers, ours, and theirs often!. 'S not sure how to do this in German as part of the 'thing '.! Already learned the personal pronouns in the nominative, accusative, and also. — does it mean hers / cat / jacket … is mine the... Very first or very last words in a sentence, there ’ s the how to use — informal here! It ’ d be pretty hard to pronounce meinr, meinn, or? to German possessive pronouns they almost... S the how to use a chart for that speak fluent German, then this is the declension he!

, , , , , , , , , ,