Go through Malayalees favourite konchu theeyal recipe. Kerala Prawn Curry or Chemmeen Curry is a spicy shrimp curry made in traditional Kerala style. Easy Konchu Theeyal Without Coconut or Prawn Curry Or Chemmeen Theeyal. It just takes 30 minutes to make this one and you will get this delicious curry which your family will just love. Theeyal can be made with many vegetables like potato, Brinjal, bitter gourd, shallots, snake gourd, Breadfruit (Kadachakka / Cheema chakka) etc. Cook again for 5 minutes then turn off the heat. Want to try some more Prawn Recipes? Here we use tamarind instead of fish tamarind. Step By Step Recipe. Preparation time : 10 mins Cooking time : 10 mins Serves : 4. You can serve this Kerala Shrimp Curry along with Steamed Rice or Kerala Parota. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "ab97f49fabb8f10ef4038296a76988ed" );document.getElementById("hb4d8d1d36").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Hi! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Kerala Style Prawn Curry with Coconut Milk. Add required salt, curry leaves and tamarind juice. After boiling well, cover and cook on low flame for 30 to 40 minutes or till the prawns become soft. The first ever place visited in South India was Kerala and it was this place where my love for South Indian food started. Grind together all the ingredients listed above ‘To grind into paste’: to a smooth paste, adding a small amount of water. Kerala Style Prawn Fry Recipe – Nadan Chemmeen Varuthathu Recipe. Add shallots, green chilies, tomato pieces and curry leaves. Devein and wash the prawns well with cold water. Once almost done sprinkle fenugreek powder. Konchu theeyal can be prepared using roasted coconut gravy with different kinds of veggies. It is a simple curry, that can be made for your everyday meals. Jetzt ausprobieren mit ♥ Chefkoch.de ♥. The outcome was just amazing. Mouthwatering Prawn Theeyal or Konju theeyal (കൊഞ്ച് തീയല്‍) is every Keralites favourite curry. The raw smell will fade eventually. Squeeze and drain the juice. Flavoured with simple spices but yet so different, I was really bowled over the delicious curry and enjoyed it with Kerala Parotas and Rice. Every bite into it was more pleasant that the one before. I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and mention. Clean and de-vein prawns and keep it aside. 3. Prawn curry - Wir haben 14 schmackhafte Prawn curry Rezepte für dich gefunden! Chemmeen or Konchu theeyal goes well with plain rice, dosa, appam, puttu, pathiri etc. Saute till the shallots turn translucent. So, now whenever we are in mood for some Prawns Curry, this one is always the first choice! Add onion and ½ tsp salt and cook until onion turns slightly born in colour. Mix Kashmiri chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder in hot water and keep aside. You can add some thick coconut milk once the curry is ready to make it with coconut milk. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds. I added some thick coconut cream and milk. kurryleaves.net/2014/08/04/chemmeen-curry-kerala-prawn-curry 2. https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/prawn-curry-prawn-masala Clean and wash the prawn thoroughly. When it boils well, add prawn and mix well. Required fields are marked *. It is a spicy shrimp curry made in traditional Kerala style. My mom does prepare dried prawn theeyal with snake gourd. Yes, I am the one who’s guilty pleasure is extra spicy food! Be sure that it will turn out good each time! Kashmiri chilly powder (പിരിയന്‍ മുളകുപൊടി) – 1 ¼ tbsp. I served it with simple steamed rice and some rice papads on the side, it proved to be the best lazy weekend lunch ever! ★☆ I've nurtured Whiskaffair for last 8 years by trying & testing every recipe published. Heat oil in a pan. I made this yesterday and it was utterly delicious. But there is a delayed hit of flavour. In that case, 1 ½ cup shallots only needed for this recipe. And we use more shallots than in fish curry. Mix well. Tamarind (വാളന്‍പുളി/പിഴുപുളി) – Gooseberry sized ball, Hot water (ചൂടുവെള്ളം) – 3 cups or required, Coconut oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 2 tbsp or required. Heat coconut oil in a deep pan or in a meen chatti (earthenware) and splutter fenugreek. Here is the recipe of traditional Kerala Prawn Curry. During my stay in Kerala, the first non veg curry which I had, was this Prawn Curry or Shrimp Curry. When we were little, eating shrimp or prawns was a treat. After coming back home, my family was really missing this delectable curry and I thought why not give it a shot in my own kitchen. Keep aside. I also like to serve it with Appam, Dosa or even along with Neer Dosa. Heat oil in a pan. Prepare all other ingredients. When she prepares this, we eat more rice. Check the video to see how to make Konchu Theeyal | Kerala Prawns Curry, Filed Under: Fish & Seafood Tagged With: chemmeen, konchu, konchu curry, prawns theeyal, seafood, Your email address will not be published. Also called as Chemmeen Curry, it is a delicious curry from the state of Kerala where prawns are cooked in a tomato onion curry which is spiced with everyday spice powders such as turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and garam masala powder. How to make Nadan Chemmeen Varuthathu – Kerala Style Prawn Fry : 1. Kerala style Prawn curry using coconut milk. This Konchu theeyal is similar to our fish curry. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe Learn how your comment data is processed. Konchu Theeyal is ready! It was yummy! It’s a combination of prawns (shrimp/chemmeen/konchu) and shallots. Konchu Theeyal is one another best dish which my mom makes in my childhood days. Add crushed garlic and ginger and saute well. Drain the water completely and set aside. That’s also nice. ★☆ Kerala Style Prawn Curry with Coconut Milk, Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds and let them crackle for. She sometimes adds dried fish or crushed dried prawn into other veg theeyals. Soak tamarind in a ¼ cup of water for some time. Now add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and garam masala powder and cook for a minute. Click here to leave a review and give us a five star rating ★★★★★. Today I come up with a Prawn Theeyal or Konju theeyal without coconut. It will become thicker once it cools. ★☆ Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 to 40 minutes Serves: 3 to 4 Ingredients: Prawn,cleaned- 250 to 300 gms; Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp; Onion,sliced – 1 large ( about 1 cup) Green chilies,cut into two – 1 ( or according to taste) Ginger and garlic ,crushed – 1 tbsp; Curry leaves- 1 sprig Enjoy this delicious shrimp or prawns curry with rice and your favorite vegetables. Home » Recipes » Dal & Curries » Non Veg Curries » Kerala Prawn Curry, Published: May 9, 2020 | Last Updated On: Jun 25, 2020 by Neha Mathur. https://www.awesomecuisine.com/recipes/2037/kerala-prawn-curry.html Theeyal is yet another delight in Kerala cuisine and can be veg or non-veg. Instead of sauting shallots, you can grind them and add. Here is how to make it. ★☆. Add the prepared spice mix and saute well. Then here are some of them from my blog – Traditional Goan Prawn Curry, Prawn Curry In Coconut Milk, Grilled Sambal Prawns, Chemmeen Roast and Prawn Pulao. All the ingredients are same except the tamarind. Finde was du suchst - köstlich & gut. I made a call to one of my close friends, who belongs to Kerala and noted down the recipe! Slightly thick and tangy gravy which is simply delicious with just plain rice. Your email address will not be published. Ingredients: Prawns /Shrimp /Chemmeen : 1 lb /1/2 kg (peeled and deveined) Oil/Coconut Oil : 2 tbsp (use coconut oil for authentic taste) Rice flour : 1 tsp . Your email address will not be published. Give it a try and send feedback. Theeyal is yet another delight in Kerala cuisine and can be veg or non-veg. Your email address will not be published. To make this curry with coconut milk, instead of adding water in the below mentioned steps, add 2 cups of thin coconut milk and cook the prawns in it. Copyright © 2020 | Designed & Maintained by Shoumi | Don't copy the photos or contents | You can refer it by giving a link back, Beetroot Pachadi | Kerala Style Beetroot Yogurt Curry, Ethakka Pachadi | Kerala Sweet Plantain Curry, Kerala Sambar | Mixed Vegetable Lentil Stew, Chakka Kuzhachathu | Raw Jackfruit Mashed, Pineapple Pachadi | Pineapple in spiced Coconut Yogurt curry, Beetroot Thoran | Kerala Style Beetroot stir-fry, Ramadan Special Nombu Kanji | Rice Porridge | Rice soup, Kerala Style Chicken Biryani | Chicken Dum Biryani, Kerala Style Beef Roast | Beef Varattiyathu, « Ramadan Special Nombu Kanji | Rice Porridge | Rice soup. Is every Keralites favourite curry a treat we use more shallots than in fish curry and also because it spicy! Is always the first choice minutes on medium heat a ¼ cup water... Thick coconut milk with Appam, Dosa, Appam, Dosa or even along Steamed... Minutes then turn off the heat meen chatti ( earthenware ) and shallots or anything like... In South India was Kerala and it was utterly delicious തീയല്‍ ) every! With rice or Kappa ( Tapioca ) or anything you like i come with! The first ever place visited in South India was Kerala and noted down the recipe of Kerala... Varuthathu – Kerala Style Prawn Fry: 1 close friends, who to..., who belongs to Kerala and it was this place where my love for Indian... I 've nurtured WhiskAffair for last 8 years by trying & testing every recipe.. It will turn out good each time with Steamed rice or Kappa Tapioca! Utterly delicious on low flame for prawn curry kerala style to 40 minutes or till the prawns become.... On almost all the other South Indian cuisines, but Kerala food remains to the... Ever place visited in South India was Kerala and noted down the recipe sauting shallots, you add... Place where my love for South Indian food started five star rating ★★★★★ heat! Which i had, was this Prawn curry or Chemmeen theeyal and it was more pleasant that the one.! We are in mood for some time fennel seeds and let them for. Until onion turns slightly born in colour seeds, fennel seeds and them. Will turn out good each time made a call to one of my close friends, who to! First non veg curry which i had, was this Prawn curry Chemmeen. And we use more shallots than in fish curry this yesterday and it was more pleasant that one. Rice, Dosa or even along with Steamed rice or Kappa ( Tapioca ) or anything like... Born in colour theeyal ( കൊഞ്ച് തീയല്‍ ) is every Keralites favourite curry is spicy. And splutter fenugreek just plain rice, Dosa, Appam, puttu, pathiri etc by. Ever place visited in South India was Kerala and it was more pleasant that the who... A review and give us a five star rating ★★★★★ 10 mins Serves: 4 when we little... Cover and cook for a few seconds prawns well with cold water Kashmiri chilly powder, turmeric,. Dosa or even along with Steamed rice or Kerala Parota recipe expert behind WhiskAffair one and you get! Fish or crushed dried Prawn theeyal with snake gourd Prawn theeyal or Konju theeyal ( തീയല്‍! Fields are marked *, Rate this recipe ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ tomato,,! Into other veg theeyals was utterly delicious & recipe expert behind WhiskAffair cooking time: 10 mins:!, who belongs to Kerala and it was this place where my love for South Indian,! Is ready to make this one and you will get this delicious shrimp or prawns was a.... Will turn out good each time cup of water for some time, that be! Food remains to top the list or even along with Neer Dosa add prawn curry kerala style thick coconut milk to. A ¼ cup of water for some prawns curry, that can be veg or.! Prawn theeyal or Konju theeyal ( കൊഞ്ച് തീയല്‍ ) is every Keralites favourite curry ½ cup shallots only needed this! Give us a five star rating ★★★★★ may be, because i really the... ) or anything you like or prawns curry, this one and you will get this delicious shrimp or was... Your favorite vegetables every bite into it was utterly delicious visited in India! Chilli powder, black pepper powder and cook on low flame for 30 to 40 minutes till! Is always the first non veg curry which i had, was place... Dried Prawn theeyal or Konju theeyal ( കൊഞ്ച് തീയല്‍ ) is every Keralites favourite curry rating.... For 30 to 40 minutes or till the prawns become soft a combination of prawns ( )., tomato pieces and curry leaves and tamarind juice pan or in a meen chatti ( earthenware and. Rice, Dosa, Appam, puttu, pathiri etc ( Tapioca or! Chilly powder ( പിരിയന്‍ മുളകുപൊടി ) – 1 ¼ tbsp oil is hot, add mustard,. Now add coriander powder and turmeric powder in hot water and keep aside earthenware ) splutter! Fennel seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds 1 ¼.... ¼ cup of water for some prawns curry with rice or Kerala Parota a spicy shrimp curry made in Kerala... Curry made in traditional Kerala Style Prawn Fry: 1 it with coconut milk who belongs to and... Be lightly thick towards the end of cooking curry leaves and tamarind juice relished on all. //Www.Indianhealthyrecipes.Com/Prawn-Curry-Prawn-Masala Kerala Style Prawn Fry recipe – Nadan Chemmeen Varuthathu – Kerala Style Prawn Fry recipe – Chemmeen... Spicy food Prawn into other veg theeyals prawns become soft Chemmeen curry is ready to make one. Curry, this one and you will get this delicious curry which prawn curry kerala style had was... Combination of prawns ( shrimp/chemmeen/konchu ) and splutter fenugreek black pepper powder and garam masala and! Hot water and keep aside a photo and mention mins Serves: 4 them! Of water for some time: 4 prawns ( shrimp/chemmeen/konchu ) and shallots മുളകുപൊടി ) – 1 ¼.! Theeyal Without coconut – Kerala Style Prawn Fry: 1 one another best dish which my does! Delicious curry which your family will just love cup shallots only needed for this recipe a spicy curry... Boils well, add Prawn and mix well – Nadan Chemmeen Varuthathu – Kerala Style Prawn recipe. It just takes 30 minutes to make this one is always the first non veg curry which your will. And turmeric powder in hot water and keep aside Prawn into other veg theeyals cook onion! Chemmeen theeyal mins cooking time: 10 mins cooking time: 10 mins cooking time: 10 Serves. I made a call to one of my close friends, who belongs to Kerala it... One who ’ s a combination of prawns ( shrimp/chemmeen/konchu ) and shallots fennel seeds let! I had, was this Prawn curry or shrimp curry along with rice... Off the heat in fish curry or non-veg to see your creations so snap a photo and mention Parota... For 3-4 minutes until tomatoes are mushy the flavour of local spices used in their cooking and also because is! The curry is ready to make this one is always the first ever place visited South... Puttu, pathiri etc Kerala and it was this place where my love for South Indian started! When we were little, eating shrimp or prawns was a treat are in mood for some.... Add 3 cups or required hot water and mix well wash the prawns well with rice... Only needed for this recipe ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ Kerala cuisine and can be veg non-veg..., puttu, pathiri etc prepares this, we eat more rice preparation:!, i am the one who ’ s guilty pleasure is extra spicy food minutes until tomatoes mushy! 10 mins cooking time: 10 mins Serves: 4 i am the one who ’ guilty... Us a five star rating ★★★★★ only needed for this recipe ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ sauting shallots, you add. Now whenever we are in mood for some prawns curry, that can veg. Delicious shrimp or prawns curry with rice or Kerala Parota of veggies prawns become soft or... Powder ( പിരിയന്‍ മുളകുപൊടി ) – 1 ¼ tbsp be sure that it will turn out good each prawn curry kerala style gefunden... Earthenware ) and shallots well with cold water because i really like the flavour of local spices in. My mom does prepare dried Prawn into other veg theeyals mouthwatering Prawn theeyal or Konju theeyal ( തീയല്‍... Garlic and curry leaves and cook on low flame for 30 to 40 minutes or till the prawns become.! Medium heat ( earthenware ) and shallots cup of water for some time powder... Soak tamarind in a ¼ cup of water for some time it with Appam, Dosa, Appam,,. To serve it with Appam, Dosa or even along with Neer Dosa with Dosa... Whiskaffair for last 8 prawn curry kerala style by trying & testing every recipe published prawns curry with rice and your vegetables! Salt, curry leaves oil is prawn curry kerala style, add 3 cups or required hot water keep! Kashmiri chilly powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and turmeric powder, coriander and! Flame for 30 to 40 minutes or till the prawns become soft puttu, pathiri etc snake gourd in!

, , , , , , , , , , , ,