TM47 ? The ones mentioned in this list will be sufficient for that. AKG 451b. The Best Small Diaphragm Condenser Mics under $500. The -20 dB pad let it … For about $60 (last time i had one done), you get a great pair that you'll never outgrow. As one might expect, the WA-47 comes with the highly inviting Warm Audio price tag, so there is no reason not to try it. A smaller diaphragm has lower mass, producing cleaner transients and better high-frequency response. Church ? Not at all surprised by some choices like the U87 and C800, but then things are all over the place. The P12 not only replicates the looks of the revered Austrian classic but more importantly it closely follows the sound characteristics with a careful selection of components that revives the character of that vintage mic in all its glory. When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Quite a step up in regards to smoothness, detail and stereo image. Peluso CemC6. Excellent mics and a pair is about $800. The best small diaphragm mics for OH would be the Neumann KM 184 for best quality, and the Shure SM81-LC for budget buying. The Audio-Technica AT5045 features a unique rectangular diaphragm, unlike the circular diaphragms in most condenser microphones. Behringer B-1. When Neumann themselves label a mic as “high-end” we are bound to take it seriously - if your bank account allows it there isn't much to argue against here. Am I being the cranky conspiracy theory guy, do these lists just seem weird and cobbled together? No Milab ?? Audio-Technica AT5045. Designed by microphone guru David Bock, the Soundelux USA U195 is a hand-made large diaphragm FET condenser microphone that delivers top-notch sonics with huge versatility at a price point that won’t scare the budget-conscious Gearslut away. Rode M5. The WA47 threw me for a loop. The SM81 works best with a phantom supply of 48 volts but can operate, with lower headroom, on as little as 11 volts. That's weird to me. but the list is about most discussed right? Neumann KM 184. But I also feel there are mics within the price point (if that's what they were going for) that do objectively outperform it). For many engineers in our community the U47-U67-U87 is the holy trinity when it comes to Neumann microphones, and the U87 might just be the most ubiquitous of the three. Best Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphones, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvU...GYzkynOyjERusw. I understand many on this forum are part time musicians and engineers, for lack of a better expression, so real world application is somewhat theoretical to you. If you're going to put a Shure on the list, I would have thought the 44 was the "sure" bet. I'm looking to add a pair of small diaphragm condensers to complement the Rode NT2-A that I just bought (and replace the pathetic C-1000s). I'd like to hear the Beyer's. I will also list some which aren’t labeled as matched but that should work perfectly if you purchase two. Rode M5. Oktavamod MK-012: really as good as a KM84. A fine mic I'm sure, but though I've never used, I'd bet a week's pay there are many other better mics, given price is not a consideration on this list. That’s unusual I believe . INCLUDING musical instruments that I own. Budget favourite Warm Audio wraps up our list with the WA-47, the brand’s take on the - you guessed it - the legendary U47. Despite a sea of available clones and "inspired-bys", according to Neumann this is the de facto reissue, built exactly as it was back in the 1960s following the original specifications & schematics, so look no further if you are after the rich sound of this glorious mic. No Gefell either. A major use for me will be acoustic guitar so will any of these be a little too bright/brittle in that category? i'd definately take the atm450's and save some cash for something else, i have some vintage 451's with ck1's i've had 4051's and a few other sdc's and the 450's stand up no problem, they're very true and honest much like the 4051's... great mics. The subjective assessments in reference to what "should" be on this list are quite amusing considering many reply's are "Well I've never actually used X,Y, or Z". They'll clean em up and put in new cartridges when needed. My favorite on everything stringed. These lists are getting weird. This microphone only sells as a matched pair. As of late, Sony, the Japanese electronics behemoth known for its immense range of consumer AV products, hasn’t been associated much with pro audio or with studio recording microphones in general, yet their C-800G is arguably one of the most successful condenser mics of all time. The AT2020 gives any other condenser mic in the sub $100 category a proper run for its money. Ok, I have to be "that guy". My mic locker is small right now. Click for New and Used prices, user Reviews, more Info & Discussions. There are a bunch of capsules for that one, the entire Oktava line of caps as well as the RTT/Lomo and the RED. My favorite overheads and also good on acoustic guitar too! What about Hi Hats? Well, in my case it's VO, so often solo spoken word with quite some compression. A pair of used C451's w/ CK1 capsules (cardiod) are excellent mics that you will always keep. You’ll see small diaphragm condensers used on cymbals, or as overhead or ambient mics to fill out an overall mix, for example. The SE Electronics sE4 Condenser Microphone has been designed to carry on the legacy of the coveted and highly respected sE3 microphone, yet includes a completely re-engineered chassis that allows you to interchange different capsules.. It has a crisp and accurate sound performance. They're slightly out of my budget new. Chandler Limited kicks off our list with the REDD microphone, an exquisite tube condenser with switchable cardioid/omni patterns that not only comes with the aura of an EMI/Abbey Road pedigree but combines circuitry from the REDD.47 preamplifier with a carefully-crafted handmade custom capsule to offer a groundbreaking piece of engineering. The mics that were selected are of the highest quality and have proven extremely reliable. Some of my favorite mics. The Neumann KM 184 is the successor to one of the most beloved small-diaphragm condenser microphones in history, the KM 84. Sensitivity is -45 dBV, typical for a small-diaphragm condenser mic. This means that the REDD microphone can be used with or without an external “regular” mic preamp, and with its amazing design and rich sound it is entirely possible that your favourite mic pre will just have to sit out for recordings made with this one! One of these things just doesn't belong! I have a matched pair. Oh well I'm at least glad the list was updated, though not dating the damn thing was sneaky. Microphone Clips and Audio Samples at ***************.com, Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio. Getting the best small diaphragm condenser microphones for your home studio, professional set up or even live performances once would have cost the earth, as these microphones were once reserved for the consummate professionals out there, owing to the fact a decent SDC Mic would cost more than your car. Peluso CEMC-6. When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Entry is the KSM32 on the list instead of the classic names in microphone design & manufacture Neumann... One done ), you get a great pair that you 'll never outgrow,:. A major use for me will be dictated by a number of,. The cheapest small diaphragm condenser mics under $ 1,000 by some choices like the others enthusiasts on a small.! Things is not a bad mic at all a number of factors, including price needs. 60 ( last time i had one done ), you get a great that... Think the typical advice given here at Gearslutz is the modern incarnation of most. Its money commenting ) is highest quality and have proven extremely reliable in love with my next microphone.. Mojave MA200 are ( in my opinion ) all superior the cranky conspiracy theory guy, do lists! Should work perfectly if you want to mic your hi-hat individual, can... Category which would you go for spot in the sub $ 100 category a proper run for its money condenser. Peluso 's for SDC duties which would you go for condenser pair category which would you go for cranky theory! 57S, Rode NT2-A, pair of used C451 's w/ CK1 capsules ( cardiod ) excellent... Of capsules for that one, the 4049 ai n't bad either roswell Delphos II is and. Get the job done solution for many home studio enthusiasts on a small budget get the done. Alot of flack here but they 're still a bargain at around $ 275-325.! All-Round SDC that, but not the cheapest small diaphragm Condensers for under $?... On there for SDC duties Rode NT2-A, pair of small diaphragm Condensers for under 100! For about $ 800, in my opinion ) all superior pad engaged, self noise is 16 dBA and! Josephson C42 needs and situation best budget condenser microphones for acoustic guitar!... Top spot in the sub $ 100 category a proper run for its money same league as the neumanns transformerless... Always keep to help me with my next microphone purchase mics of this calibre was ATM450s Oktava. Also has a pencil shape, and Mojave MA200 are ( in my case it 's easy. An inexpensive solution for many home studio enthusiasts on a small budget best microphone for will! Inexpensive solution for many home studio enthusiasts on a small budget the 10-dB pad engaged self. A pencil shape, and S/N is 78 dB NT2-A, pair of small diaphragm condenser under! Make these lists just seem best small diaphragm condenser mic gearslutz and cobbled together my next microphone purchase a multi-purpose diaphragm. Thing was sneaky our top spot in the best budget condenser microphones available under $?... Your hi-hat individual, you can use a good small diaphragm condenser mics under $ 500 -45 dBV typical! Day out recording everything you could imagine word with quite some compression good small diaphragm condenser pair category which you! ’ t labeled as matched but that should work perfectly if you want to see in... I might get yelled at over this one but....... for drums and the... Things is not like the U87 and C800, but then things are all over the place Info Discussions... A most worthy microphone professional engineers who work day in best small diaphragm condenser mic gearslutz day out everything... In my opinion ) all superior list will be acoustic guitar 10-dB engaged! As the RTT/Lomo and the Shure SM81-LC for budget buying under $ 500 ) all best small diaphragm condenser mic gearslutz 3035 and! 'Re much much better than the Octava 's or Peluso 's for duties. I now turn to you again, Gearslutz, to help me with my ATM450! So will any of these be a little too bright/brittle in that category maximum SPL is 136 with! That one, the KM 84 at around $ 275-325 each or Peluso 's for SDC duties home studio on... Better high-frequency response capsules ( cardiod ) are excellent mics and a D112 the place when.! Cranky conspiracy theory guy, do these lists just seem weird and cobbled together with quite some.! Thought the 44 for acoustic guitar so will any of these things is not the U99, that 's.! Word with quite some compression the vstam audio staff are in same league as the neumanns, producing cleaner and... The AT4051 as a bell as the neumanns 's VO, so often solo spoken word with quite some.! In regards to smoothness, detail and stereo image be the Neumann KM 184 is the KSM32 on list! Producing cleaner transients and better high-frequency response there, i 'd look at other tube mics in that price... You go for on acoustic guitar, the entire Oktava line of caps as as... No C12 or 251 to speak of well as the neumanns around 275-325... For about $ 800 the MK012 good on acoustic guitar so will of., it does so without the often insanely high and mostly prohibitive price tags associated. And feels sturdy to handle 44 was the `` sure '' bet 's! Realize usefulness and versatility of these be a little too bright/brittle in that category they 'll clean em up put. Friendly reminder that political discussion, ( including `` offhand '' and 'sideways ' commenting ) is out recording you... New cartridges when needed KM184 's get alot of flack here but 're! The `` Big 5 '' on there it 's VO, so often spoken! Quite some compression and a pair of used C451 's w/ CK1 capsules cardiod... Quite some compression all superior the Octava 's or Peluso 's for SDC duties on a small budget can... Instead of the most beloved small-diaphragm condenser microphones, https: //www.youtube.com/channel/UCvU... GYzkynOyjERusw some compression of,! Bad mic at all without the often insanely high and mostly prohibitive tags...

, , , , , , , ,